Frequently Asked Questions
LimiTV is a nonprofit organization based in Raleigh, North Carolina dedicated to empowering others on behalf of our children. We promote growth and achievement by raising awareness of the effects of media on children. We build the capacity of parents and schools to promote behavior change to reduce viewing.
- What is the LimiTV mission?
Our mission is to improve children’s learning and health by informing parents and educators about the ways excessive TV watching can compromise early childhood development, hinder learning, adversely affect health and stimulate aggressive behavior.
- Why should I attend this program?
Because it may profoundly improve your child’s learning and health! During the elementary school years, children develop a sense of whether school is a place of excitement and accomplishment, or it’s a place that’s boring and frustrating. Whichever attitude sets in can stay with the child through the rest of the school years. This program will help your child excel.
- How many sessions are in this program?
This program uses a train-the-trainer approach. Workshop leaders attend two sessions given by LimiTV that prepare them to offer three workshops to parents at their school. The three workshops are usually held two weeks apart.
- What materials are provided?
The three sessions for the parents are a mix of presentations and parent discussions. LimiTV provides the three presentations, recommended scripts for each, and a comprehensive parent handbook.
1. By encouraging your PTA to offer this beneficial program.
2. By becoming a workshop leader.
3. By attending the three parent sessions.
Please contact the Project Director (firstname.lastname@example.org ) for more information.
- I am interested in becoming a workshop leader. What are the specific steps involved parents or concerned teachers can take to help our children succeed in school this year?
1. Attend the Information Session and Pilot Training.
2. Select a program “Chair” to recruit one-two people to serve as presenters of this program at your school.
3. Have presenters begin and complete two workshops that prepare them for the school sessions. LimiTV will conduct these sessions and supply a presentation binder, scripts and handouts at no cost!
4. Schedule, announce, and promote the three workshop dates to all parents.
5. Have parents sign up for the workshops. All parents who complete the workshops will receive a small gift.
6. Let your teachers know that parents from their classroom have signed up for the program so they can acknowledge the marked changes in academic performance and behavior of students in those households.
7. Conduct your workshops!
8. Turn in feedback forms and materials so you may obtain a small gift.
- How much do the LimiTV train-the-trainer sessions cost and who should attend?
Through the W. K. Kellogg Foundation and in partnership with the North Carolina PTA, LimiTV offers free training and materials to schools within a fifty-mile radius of Wake County.
- Where are the locations of the train-the-trainer sessions?
We currently have had training sessions at NCPTA headquarters, at schools and at local churches in Raleigh. We may be able to work with you on a session at your school or a nearby facility depending on the response in your area.
- When are the train-the-trainer sessions scheduled?
Please remember, we may be able to work with you on a session at your school or a nearby facility depending on the response in your area. All dates are subject to change based on the needs of the group.
Please contact our Project Director (email@example.com) for more information or to register for a training session.
- How long do the workshops last?
Each session lasts 2-2 ½ hours, and they are held about two weeks apart.
Absolutely! We recognize most people are hungry between the hours of 6 – 9 pm and will have dinner delivered during your training session. Please let us know in advance if you have any dietary restrictions.
- I would like to attend the training but do not have childcare. Can LimiTV help?
We will do our best to secure on-site childcare for our participants. Please let us know in advance if you are in need of this service and the ages of the children you will be bringing.
- I would like to attend the training but need assistance with transportation. Can LimiTV help?
LimiTV reimburses travel for one car per school at a rate of 40c per mile.
- How much support can I get with this effort when I return to my school?
The LimiTV project director is happy to help you with LimiTV materials, one-on-one follow up training consultations and more. NCPTA is available to help you with questions related to parent involvement and other types of grant writing assistance.
- What will you need from me after the training?
Feedback! By providing information related to the training, we are better able to serve others who are interested in improving their child’s learning and health.
If you desire additional information please visit www.limit-tv.org.